As a single mom I am always looking for recipes that are easy to make, and if I can use my crock pot to help, then I am all in.
Panera is one of my favorite places to eat, fresh ingredients, tasty, I never feel guilty feeding it to my Littles, and they have a drive through! Last fall I tried their Autumn Squash Soup and fell in love with it! I knew then that this was something I had to learn to make.
This recipe from Cincy Shopper is pretty spot on to Panera’s and I always make enough to put a batch in the freezer for those nights that I need something quick and nutritious to throw together.
Since I hate cutting squash, I typically buy it already cut at Costco, but if you are up to the challenge then by all means cut that baby up!
First thing in the morning I just throw the squash, and onion in the crock pot on high for about an hour, while I get ready for my day.
I then add the seasonings and broth and turn it on low until I get home from work.
Right when I get home I take a masher and mash it up as good as I can, and add the rest of the ingredients while I get out of my work clothes and into my lounge ware.
Once it’s all warm, I put it in the blender until it’s pureed to perfection.
Garnish as desired, and Wallah! Dinner is served!
Copycat Panera Autumn Squash Soup by Cincy Shopper.
(Click the link for your printable copy.)
- 1 Butternut Squash
- 1 small Onion
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil
- 15 oz Pumpkin Puree
- 2 cup Vegetable Broth
- 1 1/2 cup Apple Cider
- 1 1/2 cup Heavy Cream
- 2 tbsp Honey
- 1/4 tsp Curry Powder
- 1/2 tsp Cinnamon
- 2 tsp Salt
- 1/2 tsp Black Pepper
- Pumpkin Seeds (for garnish)
- Preheat oven to 450
- Peel and seed squash and cut into chunks.
- Peel and quarter onion
- Toss squash and onion in olive oil and salt and pepper to taste.
- Cook for 20 minutes.
- Allow to cool at least 10 minutes.
- Puree in blender or food processor.
- In a large sauce pan, combine squash puree, pumpkin puree, vegetable broth, apple cider and cream.
- Bring to a low boil over medium heat.
- Add honey and spices and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Garnish with pumpkin seeds.